[Samba] Want to contribute to SAMBA Doc : NT,PDC, Problems, etc...

Sylvestre Taburet staburet at mandrakesoft.com
Sat Mar 9 07:57:03 GMT 2002

Hi Thierry

I hope you're getting better on your samba PDC-BDC emulation issue BTW.
You're right there are not many docs dealing with M$ to samba migration
available on the www. That would be a very interesting project to set up. I
would therefore recommend you that excellent "white paper" written by Dan
Shearer 2 years ago (he keeps telling he'll issue an update soon on his www
site, I can't wait). Basically, the paper is "IT manager oriented", not very
technical, but still first quality material when your need is to convince a
corporate manager about a linux migration (almost always involving a samba
part.)

Here's the URL:

http://shearer.org/en/writing/replacemicrosoft/replace-windows2000-howto.html

> From: "Thierry DELHAISE" <thierry.delhaise at free.fr>
>
> >To: "Samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>, "Samba-Docs"
> ><samba-docs at lists.samba.org>
> >Subject: [Samba] Want to contribute to SAMBA Doc : NT,PDC, Problems,
> > etc... Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:30:33 +0100
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Like certainly many members of those lists (SAMBA's list), I would like
> > to contribute to SAMBA project. The main reason is because when you write
> > something you must absolutely be familiar with the subject. It will give
> > me oportunity to be (more) familiar with some kinds of SAMBA Spec.
> >
> >Since I read samba mailling list, many questions are post about SAMBA PDC,
> >BDC, etc, interaction with Windows Domain, etc. I know that OpenSource
> >Project are sometimes very busy and there're times where teams can't
> >respond
> >in good way to users questions. But don't giving the good respons in the
> >right time could be  for the company witch study OpenSource opportunity
> >(SAMBA) a "bad OpenSource Experience".

You're right, that's why a corporate manager will appreciate a service
company that "tells the truth", meaning doesn't double talk him on samba
specs that aren't functional. Trust me, I met several IT managers who
_really_ knew a lot about OSS and especially samba, though you wouldn't tell
at first glance ("old foxes", as we say in french ;o)

> >In fact I would like to write a sort of "Deployment and Integration Guide"
> >based on some experience of some contributors and team members to this
> >project (and SAMBA-TNG too).
> >
> >The goal is to give a chance of good and simple integration of SAMBA in
> > all enterprises, and give the community some basic respons in the fisrt
> > time :
> >
> >- Source of informations, mailing list, white papers, news, web, etc...
> >- Does SAMBA will work with our enterprise architecture SCHEMS ?
> >- What work ?
> >- What don't work ?
> >- What is plan and when ?
> >- Technical success story and experience !
> >- Provide some graphic architecture SCHEMS, etc.
[...]
> >Plan :
> >
> >- What manage and what provide Windows Domain ( Users account, Access
> >Rights).
> >- Introduction to MS architecture on Windows NT Domains with some SCHEMS.
> >- Windows NT 4.0 architecture.
> >- Windows 2000 architecture.
> >- Mixed architecture (W2K and NT 4.0).
> >- How does it work ?(technically).
> >- Introduction to SAMBA ( What it provide, what it is not).
> >- Samples integration schems.
> >- How does it work ?
> >- Planed scenarios to migrate to a full SAMBA domain in replacement of
> >Windows one's.
> >- ...

About that link I provide on top of this mail, be sure to check the
methodology part, which I think is rather smart, and might instantly "seduce"
IT managers.

Cheers,
--
Sly