[Samba] Can we still use Samba if routers have netbeui/netbios turned off?

Steven Maroney steve at euterpe.math.uno.edu
Thu Mar 7 21:52:04 GMT 2002

Please do not take this the wrong way, but it sounds like to me that you
are very unfamiliar with the netbios protocol. You should do some studying
on this topic and you should answer your own questions.

NetBIOS can use many different transport protocols and TCP is one of them.
This is where the term NBT comes from .... NetBIOS over TCP.

and hopefully you understand that TCP is part of the IP stack/suite.

Most IP routers do not route broadcasted traffic which was kept in mind
when impletmenting NetBIOS over TCP. This is the main purpose behind a
WINS server !! It is the KEY is cross subnet browsing.

R T F M !!

Steve