[Samba] Source safe on Samba, and corruption

Jacob Gorm Hansen jg at ioi.dk
Thu Mar 7 21:02:03 GMT 2002

hi,

recently we tried moving our large source safe databases to samba.

After a day of use, the databases started showing signs of corruption
(strange error messages from the SS client). However, it was discovered that
the server was using a very sick ethernet port, so we guess that might be the
reason for the corruption (sourcesafe is a really lame product but we cannot
migrate away from it just now).

We moved away from samba, but I would like us to be able to go back.
Basically, I have one more shot at this, and I would prefer it not to
fail again - even though the failure last time might be due to the sick
network port and not samba's fault.

So my question is; is anyone out there running large sourcesafe databases on
samba (ours are filled with heavy binary files)? Mainwin has a locking patch
listed for using their version of SS with samba, has this patch been applied to
the 2.2-series?

Is there anything special to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,
Jacob Gorm Hansen
IO Interactive