[Samba] spoolss causing driver issues

Mike Weller test3 at zyvex.com
Thu Mar 7 18:47:07 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a problem.  I upgraded from samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.3 recently, and
one of my 2 printers have driver issues.

Whenever I print to SAVIN 2545, I get binary and hieroglyphics, so
I assumed that it's driver-related.  I can print to our HP8100 just fine.

Some machines were still configured with:
"\\server\savin", LAN Manager Printer

These machines STILL print fine.

However, if one DELETEs the printer, and re-adds it, it becomes:
"Samba Printer Port",  Local Port (since the new samba must trigger
the windows client to set it up this way, as opposed to the lan manager).

The HP8100 continues to print fine under this configuration, but the
the SAVIN prints garbage.

I've tried several things.  I've tried these settings in smb.conf:
   load printers = yes
   printer admin = weller  # me
   printcap name = lpstat
   printing = cups
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes
   public=yes
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
   available=yes
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
[print$]
   path=/usr/local/samba/printer
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   read only = yes
   write list = weller
[savin]
  comment = Savin
  browseable = yes
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  path = /tmp
  create mode = 0700
  printer driver=SAVIN 2545/2245 PCL 5e
  printer driver location=\\%h\PRINT$

I then deleted c:\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 on my PC just in
case if my drivers were corrupt, went to \\server\savin, it prompted
me to install drivers. I pointed it to the proper drivers for my OS,
and it installed on the linux box to
/usr/local/samba/printer/w32x86/3, so it seems to have worked
flawlessly, except the printing garbage problem. (there's a bunch of
files in /usr/local/samba/printer/w32x86/3 that resembled the same
files in c:\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3).

I must have printed hundreds of pages of garbage in testing this
thing.

Rather than downgrade to samba 2.0.x, I decided to add:

 disable spoolss = yes
 use client driver = yes

to my smb.conf to force the deprecated "LAN Manager" feature, since
it appears to WORK fine that way!  However, Now all I get is
why not.  public, browseable, printable, guest ok, available are
all set to "yes".  I even changed print$ to printer$ like it was before.
Any ideas?  As soon as I uncomment the "disable spoolss" and relogin
to the windows machine, I can get into \\server\savin.

I just want this to work.  I don't really care if it uses
spoolss or not.

Thanks!

-Mike