[Samba] Samba as client, windows 200 pro as server of anonymous share

Fabrice Gautier Fabrice_Gautier at sdesigns.com
Mon Mar 4 17:48:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

This may look more like a question on how to configure my windows 2000 than
my samba but here I go:

I'm trying to access some shares on a windows 200o pro box from a linux
samba client. I want anybody to access the share from anywhere without a
password.

In the windows 2000 share I have set full control permissions for Everyone,
and also for the Guest user. The guest user has no password.

On the linux machine I try to connect with:

smbclient //win2000host/share -U guest

then when asked for the password i hit enter and I got a
"Anonymous login sucessful"message
but then i got "tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

When i connect as another user of the win2000 host i can connect by entering
the corresponding password. I created another user with no password and the
windows machine and it works, but im still wondering why it doesnt work with
the guest user.

Thank you

--
Fabrice Gautier,