[Samba] Re: samba oplocks problem

Federico Sevilla III jijo at leathercollection.ph
Mon Mar 4 07:13:05 GMT 2002

Olaf,
(cc XFS and Samba lists)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 at 15:50, Olaf Fr±czyk wrote:
> I have similar problems, (with doc and xls) but I don't have file
> corruption (I hope :)

We hope. I've turned off oplocks with my Samba completely just to be sure.
Things haven't slowed down that drastically, but perhaps it's because the
load isn't as high as with some other much larger installations.

> But I suspect Win2k with SP2. Could you check in log, if the problem
> first takes place on win2k machine, and after on other?

We only have Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME clients here. No Windows2000.

> BTW, I also posted several times, but got no reply.

:(

> I also have XFS, today changed from 2.4.17-cvs to 2.4.18-cvs. But the
> problem persist. (I had to upgrade because cyrus-imap was dying under
> 2.4.17 - ugly). May be it is problem with XFS? (I had strange problems
> with vmware+XFS). But I'm not sure if it is related to xfs, as somebody
> had similar problem with suse with kernel 2.4.10. Or may be SUSE has XFS
> compiled in?

I doubt it's a problem with XFS. Samba is an almost purely userland tool
(except for smbfs), and if it were running into problems with the
filesystem, I'd expect we'd see more logs especially in the kernel side
from XFS, not to mention more "universal/global" data corruption.

As things are here the data corruption is quite sparse. An oplock_break
failure doesn't guarantee data corruption. It seems to require that
oplock_breaks happen consecutively at a particular rate on the same file.
Or something like that. :(

Anyway, no data corruption so far since oplocks have been turned off. I've
been told whatever problem it is I'm running into has been solved in
Samba's CVS. Perhaps the next release (post 2.2.3a) will bring the
possibility of turning oplocks back on.

 --> Jijo

Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo at leathercollection.ph
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.
GnuPG Key: http://jijo.leathercollection.ph/jijo.gpg