[Samba] using samba instead of NFS?

Alex Dawson alex at ee.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 1 23:07:11 GMT 2002

At 12:33 PM +0000 1/3/02, J.A.Aylward wrote:
>Sorry if this is a dumb question....
>
>Is it possible to use samba instead of NFS to allow users home
>directories to be on a server.

Ideally, you would run NFS. Samba is a great program, but unlike NFS,
it's not kernel level, which means it runs as a seperate process to
the kernel, meaning there's more overhead processes. Which is
something you want to avoid

>(I have a windows network with samba as the domain controller, but
>also have some machines which can boot into linux, and I want
>interested users to have the same home directory as they would if
>they had logged on via windows and samba)

Depending on how Samba is configured, you can just make it use their
home directory as their HOMEDIR on windows.

>Something I read implied an entry in the etc/passwd file might do the
>trick, ie replacing the home directory path for something like:
>smb://server/path

I suspect your operating system would expect an absolute path to a
home directory, and not a URI.
--
Alex Dawson                                    CSU - Systems Administrator