[Samba] How to reduce size of samba binaries

Alex Dawson alex at ee.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 1 01:45:07 GMT 2002

At 12:34 AM -0800 1/3/02, Dennis Vriezekolk wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to reduce the size of the samba binaries. smbd for instance is
>about 1.5 meg, which is way to much if you ask me. Is there a way to
>create smaller binaries, maybe by compiling differently?
>
>thanx,
>
>Dennis

Put the following into a file called smbd.c:
---
#include "stdio.h"

main(void) {
         printf("Server could not start!\n");
         return(1);
}

---
then type: "gcc -o smbd smbd.c"

And hey presto, it's down to 6k. It might not do some of the stuff
that the real samba does, but my fork of samba will satisfy your
(somewhat baffling) concerns regarding the size of the binaries for
the real samba.

Kind regards,
--
Alex Dawson                                    CSU - Systems Administrator