[Samba] Re: multiple wins server entries

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jun 28 12:33:15 GMT 2002

If the WINS servers are not synchronized, then you won't get valid results
if you query a second WINS server if the first one fails.  That's the
problem with disjoint name spaces.

If they *are* synced... then who knows what garblage the broken WINS
server would be sending to the backups.  Again, there is no way of knowing
if you are getting correct answers since the authoritative source is
messed up.

The only other way that this would work is to have all clients use two
separate (unsynced) WINS servers.  Each client would register with each
server, so the servers would have the same data even though they are not
synchronizing with one another.  The problems in this case are:

1) How would you convince all of the clients to behave that way?  They're
   all different.
2) If one server goes goofy, how do you know which one is right?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org