[Samba] winpopup and Domain auth?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 21 17:52:02 GMT 2002

Bill Anderson wrote:

> OK, yesterday I was asked abut moving an existing Python program from an
> NT machine to a Unix machine. This involves sending a message to
> winpopup. So, after some digging I found smbclient's -M option.
>
> Well, it works fine when I send it to a machine that is not part of the
> site domain. When I send it to a machine that is logged in to the
> domain, I get "session request invalid".
>
> Any help appreciated, I've already spent a couple of hours looking
> through search results for the list and on google, to no avail.

What's happening is that you are not getting the netbios name correct -
you must specify the correct netbios name of the remote host or it will
reject the session request.  Or specify the machine by IP, and set the
name as '*SMBSERVER' (assuming remote is not Win9X)

Cleaning up this code for more consistant behaviour is on my longer-term
todo list.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org