[Samba] NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT - solution

DaveP davep at hmgcc.gov.uk
Fri Jun 21 04:35:03 GMT 2002

I've seen many help requests from Samba users trying to add their server
to an NT4 domain and getting the above status return. I've generally
found that setting

domain logons = No

in the smb.conf file fixes that, but recently I've needed to set up a
Samba server which will process domain logon requests from W9x clients
(they're on a separate IP subnet from the rest of the NT domain) and so
need "Domain Logons = Yes".

The solution I've found (in Samba 2.2.5 at least) is to pre-add the
Samba box to the NT domain using the NT Server Manager AS A BACKUP
DOMAIN CONTROLLER then use the usual

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN

to synchronise the machine password.

Hope this helps others having the same problem

Dave

The information contained in this message (and any attachments) may
be confidential and is intended for the sole use of the named addressee.
Access, copying, alteration or re-use of the e-mail by anyone other
than the intended recipient is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient please advise the sender immediately by returning the e-mail
and deleting it from your system.