[Samba] Can't initialise locking module - exiting

Kremlyn Vostok kremlyn at mbox.com.au
Sun Jun 16 23:13:02 GMT 2002

Afternoon,

I'm running OpenBSD 3.1, and since being informed that since 2.2.3a
contains a bug I should upgrade to 2.3.4 - which I've done.

I've installed this from source, and havn't seen any reason to believe
the build process didn't work properly (Other than having duplicated
binaries in /usr/local/samba/bin/ and
in /usr/source_distributions/samba-2.2.4/source/bin/smbd
(source_distributions being the directory in which I store all binary
distributions).

Firstly, does having these duplicated binaries mean something's gone
wrong in the build process?

Secondly, smbstatus gives me the following output:

*******

[kremlyn at molotov -> (~)] : /usr/local/samba/bin/smbstatus

Samba version 2.2.4
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting

*******

I can't see the samba box at all in Network Neigborhood (and I know
smb.conf is fine, as it worked in 2.2.3a before I upgraded).

Thanks in advance.

//kremlyn

"Physics tells us that for every action, there must be an equal and
opposite reaction. BSD people hate Linux people, and they hate us back.
So, here we are, victims of mathematical science." - Kremlyn Vostok