[Samba] Virtual samba servers possible with samba 2.2.x ?

Dwayne McGarty Dwayne.McGarty at DCExperts.Ca
Wed Jun 12 13:02:03 GMT 2002

When using samba 2.0.x series of software, I often configured samba to
look like serveral virtual machines in the network neighbourhood by
using the "config file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L" directive in
the configuration file.  Each of the virtual samba machines had their
own secrets file so they could all connect to a real NT PDC for user
authentication.  With the advent of the samba 2.2.x series this does not
seem possible.  If I try and configure three virutal servers on a
machine, the last netbios name to join the domain (last one to write to
the secrets.tdb file) is the only one that works with domain authentication.

Is there a way with 2.2.x to get this virtual samba server configuration
to work?  (without having multiple binaries compiled with different
private directory paths...)