[Samba] printer drivers

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Mon Jun 10 17:33:02 GMT 2002

What happens when you run
testparm?  Do you see any
error messages?

Should this be /etc/printcap or /usr/local/etc/printcap?
I'm not sure which one cups uses :-(

> >>        dns proxy = No
> >>        wins support = Yes
> >>        hosts allow = 127.0.0. 192.168.1.
> >>        printing = cups
> >>
> >>[homes]
> >>        comment = Home Directories
> >>        read only = No
> >>        browseable = No
> >>
> >>[printers]
> >>        comment = All Printers
> >>        path = /var/spool/samba
> >>        create mask = 0700
> >>        guest ok = Yes
> >>        printable = Yes
> >>        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client
> >>side printer drivers.
> >>        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
> >>        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
> >>        browseable = No

I think the samba spool dir needs to be 777 or 1777
try #'ing this entry to see if it changes anything.

then:

chown root.daemon /var/spool/samba
chmod 777 /var/spool/samba

Come to think of it, if you have an entry for the
printer, you don't need the [printers]
entry.  Rename the [printers] section to [Printer],
and delete the other [Printer] entry.  Modify it
to read:

[Printer]
        comment = HP720C
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
        # using client side printer drivers.
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

What I think is happening is that you can see
the Printer share, but samba and cups aren't
talking correctly.  Samba spools the job, and
sends it to cups.  Each print process must be
working in order for the job to be processed.
Look at your printcap entry for the printer,
and make sure it matches what you have in the
smb.conf [Printer] and [Global] sections.

You may consider creating the printcap entry
as hp720 or something similar;  chances are
you're going to end up servicing more than
one printer via your server.  Create
/var/spool/samba/hp720 and make the
[Printer] section [HP720C].  Modify the
path=/var/spool/samba/hp720 as well.  As you
add more printers,  you'll be able to give them
names that match their model.  Printer, Printer2,
etc. will add confusion instead of clarity...

If the HP720C driver won't work, try the
HP550C driver.  It's what I have to use for our
networked OfficeJet 570, and HP mentions it as a
solution for other networked DeskJets.

Hope this helps,

Jim