[Samba] oplock break

Tim Bates batestim at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jun 10 04:38:02 GMT 2002

After some more research, I have more information on the oplock problem:
The problem occurs when trying to copy files. I was originally using DOS
xcopy. It copies cheerily along until reaching some seemingly random file,
and then dies with "The specified network resource or device is no longer
available". Then when I go back to delete the (half-copied) file through
Explorer, it tells me 'access denied'. I then have to log into the server
and delete it using good old 'rm'. If I now try to copy the same file using
xcopy once more, the same error occurs on the same file. However, if I use
Explorer to copy it, it copies that file quite happily and then gives the
same error on a different, later file. I click OK, and the copy dialog sits
there until I click Cancel on it, whereupon Explorer hangs the window for a
good 15 seconds before doing anything, including redrawing itself. Once
again, if I try to delete the file, I get a 15 second pause and then an
'access denied'.

The oplock break messages in the log are persistant, even when I'm doing no
more than looking at filenames, not even opening files. This makes me doubt
the two being related, but since I have very little idea of how Samba
operates, and no idea about what an oplock is, I'm hoping someone can help
me out.
                         Thanks,
                                 Tim Bates