[Samba] 2.2.3a - buggy homedir mapping with profiles for 9x/winxp

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Thu Jun 6 14:10:23 GMT 2002

Hi @all,

I'm using version 2.2.3a (because the patch for printingproblems in
2.2.4 is not working for me) as a PDC for Win9x- and WinXP-Clients. I
want to set up different profile directories for Win9x and WinXP. This
seemed not a problem with

logon home = \\%N\%U\profile_9x_me
logon path = \\%N\%U\profile_nt_xp

I have a client with Win98 and WinXP on it. If I log on first with
WinXP and the user tb, the profile directory

/home/tb/profile_nt_xp

creates correct, my homedir is mapped to x: (logon drive = x:). All is
working fine.
Then I boot Win98 as tb and log on. The profile directory

/home/tb/profile_9x_me

creates correct, my homedir is mapped to x: (logon drive = x:). All is
working fine.
Both profiles are in their different directories.

But:
When I boot WinXP the 2nd time, the profile directory is not found and
drive x: is

/home/tb/profile_9x_me

What's that?

When I use the preferences

logon home = \\%N\%U\
logon path = \\%N\%U\

the profile of Win2K is in

/home/tb/profile

and the profile of Win98 is laying around in my homedir

/home/tb

(I don't like this...), but the homedir-mapping is ok.
Has anybody a solution for this? Can I configure it before compiling
samba? I don't understand, why it works only correct, if the
Win9x-profile is not in his own directory. I read the
Samba-PDC-HOWTO.html. Here is a trick explained:

By using the logon home parameter, you are restricted to putting Win9X
profiles in the user's home directory. But wait! There is a trick you
can use. If you set the following in the [global] section of your
smb.conf file:

logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles

then your Win9X clients will dutifully put their clients in a
subdirectory of your home directory called .profiles (thus making them
hidden).

Not only that, but 'net use/home' will also work, because of a feature
in Win9X. It removes any directory stuff off the end of the home
directory area and only uses the server and share portion. That is, it
looks like you specified \\%L\%U for "logon home".

Did anybody test this? What is so completely different between

logon home = \\%N\%U\profile_9x_me

and

logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles

?

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = TOMMAIK
   serverstring = eis samba 1.0.4, samba %v on linux
   security = user
   os level = 255
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   domain master = yes
   admin users = root eis
   domain admin group = root eis
   add user script = /var/install/bin/samba-add-workstation %u 777
machine_account /dev/null /bin/false
   logon script = %U.bat
   logon drive = x:
   debug level = 0
   encrypt passwords = yes
   update encrypted = yes
   username level = 2
   username map = /etc/user.map
   public = no
   browseable = yes

   interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0
   bind interfaces only = yes
   wins support = no
   time server = yes
   hosts allow = 127.0.0. 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
   guest account = nobody
   keep alive = 30
   printing = lprng
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no
   print command = chmod 666 %s; /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -J%J %s; rm %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p -L
   lpq cache time = 4
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
   lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -P%p %j
   lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -P%p %j
   queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
   queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
   mangle case = yes
   case sensitive = no
   default case = lower
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   dos filetimes = yes
   dos filetime resolution = yes
   deadtime = 10
   max log size = 1000
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
   oplocks = no
   kernel oplocks = no
   dfree command = /usr/local/bin/dfree
   message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' root < %s; rm
%s
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter*new*UNIX*password:* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password:* %n\n
*passwd:*password*updated*successfully*

   passwd chat debug = no

   passwd chat debug = no