[Samba] Dangers of oplock break wait time

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Tue Jun 4 10:54:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

the man page is quite explicit about not fiddling with the oplock break
wait time parameter unless one has understood the oplock code.

Is there an explanation for this that doesn't require one to be fully
read up on the SMB/CIFS protcols? :) What form of errors are we talking
about? Race conditions? How dangerous is it?

The thing is that we're having a lot of trouble related to the clients
missing the break requests (the word/excel documents-take-time-to-open
story). User's are getting seriously annoyed... so we have to do
something. But I thought I'd ask here before fiddling with the setting.

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org