[Samba] SWAT problem with RedHat 7.3

Kailash Kayastha kkayast at abcv.com
Wed Jul 31 13:26:02 GMT 2002

Hello:

I have  samba-2.2.5-1 running in RedHat 7.3, but I get the page cannot be
displayed message when I go to http://sambaserver:901

My /etc/etc/xinetd.d/swat file looks as below. I have removed only_from =
localhost and changed disable = yes to no

service swat
{
        port    = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        user    = root
        server  = /usr/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable = No
}

I do have tcp/901 defined in the /etc/services

The following URL at redhat site there is some bug
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.0/gotchas-7-7.html
7.3 SWAT doesn't work with the xinetd default configuration
I have installed SWAT along with Samba, but it does not work. I have
configured it properly via xinetd, but it does not respond to connection
attempts on port 901, even from the local machine.
There is a bug in the internal tcpwrappers functionality of xinetd. The
problem is known and is being worked on. In the meantime, you can change
this line in the /etc/xinetd.d/swat file:
	        only_from = localhost

	        only_from = 127.0.0.1

That should allow SWAT to function normally.

Any one has any idea???

Thanks,
Kailash