[Samba] RE: Solaris/Winbind Problems

David Shapiro david.shapiro at btitele.com
Wed Jul 31 10:54:02 GMT 2002

Yes, it kind of sucks that it does not work correctly.   I did the following
kluge for now:

I did the following:

In /usr/sbin, I created a script called passwd:

#!/bin/ksh
trap ""  2 3
sudo mv /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf.winbind
sudo mv /etc/nsswitch.conf.nowinbind /etc/nsswitch.conf
/usr/bin/passwd $1
sudo mv /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf.nowinbind
sudo mv /etc/nsswitch.conf.winbind /etc/nsswitch.conf
trap  2 3

I created in /etc/:

nsswitch.conf.winbind		(has the winbind options)
nsswitch.conf.nowinbind		(does not have the winbind options)

I installed sudo, and added the following in its configuration file:

Cmnd_Alias SAMBAPASSWD = /usr/bin/mv /etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf.winbind, \
                         /usr/bin/mv /etc/nsswitch.conf.nowinbind
/etc/nsswitch.conf, \
                         /usr/bin/mv /etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf.nowinbind, \
                         /usr/bin/mv /etc/nsswitch.conf.winbind
/etc/nsswitch.conf
ALL     SERVERS = NOPASSWD: SAMBAPASSWD

This allows users to change their passwords.