[Samba] Samba 2.2.5 PDC doesn't trust Win2K Pro (really!)

The Cisco Kid cisco at furniture-pro.com
Mon Jul 29 14:37:02 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I have compiled samba 2.2.5 on SCO openserver 5.0.5 as a PDC.  My Win9X
clients have no problem accessing the shares and all is happy.  However,
Win2K clients can join the domain, I see the computer/machine account that
automatically gets created in the smbpasswd file a-ok.
After the win2k client joins the domain, and the client reboots, the client
can't log in.  I get this error message from the w2k client:

The system can not log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is
incorrect.

Well I can see the account in both smbpasswd and /etc/passwd file so we know
the account isn't missing.  I suspect there is no trust relationship being
established.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this one.  I
need to be able log into the domain on a w2kpro client after it has joined
the domain.  Please help!!

  --mike

Here's what my smb.conf looks like:

[global]

        netbios name = TESTBED
        workgroup = FP
        server string = Samba Server
        ; hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2.0./24 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0
127
.0.0.1
        # Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/
passwd
        # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
        ; guest account = pcguest
        log file = /usr/adm/samba/log.%m
        ; log level = 1
        max log size = 500
        security = user
        #         SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        # socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        ;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
        # Should smbd report that it has MS-DFS Capabilities? Only available
        # if --with-msdfs was passed to ./configure
        ; host msdfs = yes
        local master = yes
         os level = 64
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        wins support = yes
        ; wins server = w.x.y.z
        wins proxy = yes
        dns proxy = no
        enhanced browsing=yes
           password server = testbed
         encrypt passwords = yes
        ; obey pam restrictions = yes
        #unix passwword sync = yes
        ; passwd chat = <custom chat string>
        ; pam password change = yes
         encrypt passwords = yes
        ; obey pam restrictions = yes
        #unix passwword sync = yes
        ; passwd chat = <custom chat string>
        ; pam password change = yes
domain admin group = root @root
           domain logons = yes
        ; logon script = %m.bat
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        logon drive = H:
        load printers = yes
        ; printcap name = /etc/printcap
        ; printcap name = lpstat
        ; printing = bsd
        ; disable spoolss = yes
        ; printer admin = root, +ntadmin

        ; winbind uid = 10000-65000
        ; winbind gid = 10000-65000
        ; winbind template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        ; winbind template shell = /bin/sh
        # What character should be used to separate the DOMAIN and Username
        # for a Windows user.  The default is DOMAIN\user, but many people
        # prefer DOMAIN+user
        ; winbind separator = \

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = no
     writable = yes
     valid users = %S
 [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /usr/gnu/samba/lib/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    share modes = no
    write list = root
[Profiles]
    path = /usr/gnu/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
[tmp]