[Samba] need help with preexec

Thierry ITTY thierry.itty at besancon.org
Thu Jul 25 23:48:33 GMT 2002

from "man smb.conf"

preexec (S)

       This  option specifies a command to be run whenever the service is
connected to. It takes the usual sub­
       stitutions.

       An interesting example is to send the users a welcome message every
time they log in. Maybe a message of
       the day? Here is an example:

            preexec = csh -c ´echo \"Welcome to %S!\" |
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -M %m -I %I´ &

       Of course, this could get annoying after a while :-)

       See also preexec close and postexec.

       Default:      none (no command executed)

       Example:
               preexec = echo \"%u connected to %S from %m (%I)\" >> /tmp/log

you're served :-)