[Samba] The specified network name is no longer available: HELP

Dave J. Andruczyk dandruczyk at enterpriserp.com
Thu Jul 18 09:45:02 GMT 2002

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get this to work.

Problem: Samba versions 2.2.4 and 2.2.5, running on mandrake 8.2 and 8.1
respectively, both with XFS  (the mdk 8.2 machine is using a STOCK kernel
2.4.18-6mdk), the mdk 8.1 machine is using a stock 2.4.18 + xfs 1.1 patch.

Windows 2000 SP2 client tries to copy a folder with files in it to the
share. Copy seems to start but ends rapidly with this error:

Cannot create or replace "folder_name": The specified network name is no
longer available.

The top level folder IS created though but with nothing inside.
This happens from multiple Win2k SP2 clients, to both Samba 2.2.4 and 2.2.5
machines using the XFS filesystem.  I don't know if it is an XFS issue, or
samba.

smb.conf relevant sections:
 workgroup = ROCH-VWS
 server string = Samba Server %v
 lock directory = /var/lock/samba
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 security = domain
 password server = *
 password level = 8
 username level = 8
 encrypt passwords = yes
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
 wins server = 10.160.2.228

[temp]
    comment = Temp space (development)
    path = /scratch/t
    writable = yes
    admin users = Administrator andrucd
    browseable = no

 I'm connecting from Winblows with the "andrucd" account, smbstatus reports
this.  the andrucd account maps to "dave" in /etc/samb/smbusers

a Level 10 log for the client that reports the error is attached to this
message.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Dave A.