[Samba] Linux printer shows in Net Neighborhood, but "No Access"

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Jul 5 19:41:02 GMT 2002

Can you print to the printer from your linux server?

If you can print from the server,  you can print from your windows clients.

I have success using path = /tmp

Who is your guest user?  I use "guest account = ftp" with good results.

Which printer queue are you trying to print to on your server? There
is usually a raw queue for just dumping jobs to the printer (test pages,
formatted output from windows) and a queue that handles postscript jobs,
generated from linux. I now send all my jobs to just one queue, the
postscript queue, as explained below.

Here is my smb.conf entry for a printer that can handle postscript jobs, ie,
that queue that handles all my routine printing from the samba/linux server.:

[ps]
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
        print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
                       echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Pps  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Pps
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Pps %j

In my global I have:
guest account = ftp
I have found the easiest way to print from windows is to install a "generic"
postscript printer on all my windows clients. It comes with windows, a HP
laserjet III plus or some such. Send the windows print jobs to the same
queue you use for your linux print jobs.
Piece of cake.
Joel