[Samba] printing problems

Sverre Stornes Sverre.Stornes at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Jul 5 07:12:02 GMT 2002

arenaz:
| Hello, this is the first time I am wrting to this list.
|
| I have a Ricoh Aficio 1015 printer/copier that, unfortunately,
| is not supported under linux. I have a Debian "testing" linux
| box running as a PDC as well as a file, fax, etc... server and I want it
| work as a printing server, too.
|
| I have downloaded the latest Samba release 2.2.5,
| which allows two configure a printer
| using the Windows 2000 device drivers provided by the
| manufacturer. I have defined an entry in the /etc/printcap file
| for the printer:
|
| ricoh|ricoh aficio 1015:\
|         :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ricoh:\
|         :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
|         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

This seems okay but someone with a more keen eye may disagree.

| Next, I login the server as "root" fron a windows 2000
| client and I add the windows drivers for the printer,
| drivers that are uploaded in the linux server successfully.
| Finally, when I try to print a test page, I get an error
| from the windows 2000 client
| "Operation could not be completed" and no log
| message is registered in the linux server.

Is it the samba log or is it the lprng log you fail to see?
Both lprng and samba has many levels of debug facilities...

| May the problem arise from the /etc/printcap
| configuration? And from the conection between
| samba and lprng?I am using lprng 3.8.10-1
| Samba smb.conf related entries are currently
| setup as follows:
|
|         total print jobs = 0
|         load printers = Yes
|         printcap name = /etc/printcap
|         addprinter command =
|         deleteprinter command =
|         show add printer wizard = Yes
|         printer admin = root
|         min print space = 0
|         max print jobs = 1000
|         printable = No
|         printing = lprng
|         print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
|         printer name =
|         printer driver =
|         printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def
|         printer driver location =

As far as I can see you shold include path = /some/public/spool.
Check out man smb.conf for details.
To be absolutely sure about the loggin I would use
[global]
log file = somepath
debug level = something

Nonetheless, you should be able to tail the sambalog if you set debug
level high.
My hunch is that there is something with a missing spool or
that some access right is wrong.

What I would recommend is:
1. get a yellow cat (inside joke)
2. set up a bogous printer and print to a file.
2.1 check that the lprng works.
2.1 tail logs
3. set up samba
3.1 turn on logging
3.2 tail the log
3.3 identify the problem
4. cuddle the yellow cat (still a inside joke)

:)

By the way, I may be out on a limb here - my samba/lprng knowledge is
somewhat rusty.

--
Sverre S.