[Samba] Synchronizing 2 samba linux servers

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jul 3 03:55:02 GMT 2002

> Message: 17
> From: "Scott Swaim" <scott at qualitycorps.com>
> To: "Samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Synchronizing 2 samba linux servers
> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:16:22 -0700
>
> I currently use Slackware for my linux installations.   From what I gather I
> would need to download and install pam then download and install LDAP on the
> primary machine.   On the secondary machines I just need to install pam_ldap
> to do authentication.  I would alos need to recompile Samba to use the new
> pam/Ldap support.
>
> Is the above correct?

Only if you NEED to have your samba passwords in LDAP, do you need to
recompile samba with LDAP support. If your existing samba server is
stable enough, for the moment you can just join each of the other samba
servers to the domain. Then you only need some way of ensuring that all
the unix accounts exist (either by rsyncing the passwd files, or via
LDAP or NIS).

We are migrating our samba servers to LDAP (we need a BDC at an office
connected by ISDN), but at the moment we use LDAP for unix accounts, and
have all the samba servers joined to the domain. Works well.

Buchan

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202