Problems of using Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Jan 27 19:28:04 GMT 2002

Joel Hammer wrote:

> > 2.    i try to using the SWAT to share my folder, but after i typed "http:/localhost:901" in the browser.
> >       it came out an error message "Could not connect to host localhost (port 901)" .
> >       what is it means ? i already followed all the step that setup the SWAT.
>
> Try typing the address correctly. There should be two /'s in the address.
>
> You should have this in inetd.conf:
> swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400 root    /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat -a
>
> You should have this in /etc/services:
> swat            901/tcp         swat    # Samba Web Administration Tool
>
> And, you should restart inetd.
> Note: The -a starts swat without checking for a password. Very insecure.

A little too insecure in my opinion.  You can test the basic 'swat is
there' without needing to worry about autenticaion in any case, as the
password prompt tells you that much.  Once you get that far, either
ensure your PAM configuration is correct and that you are using your
'real' root password, not the smbpasswd one (swat doens't check
smbpasswd).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org