automatically setting up printer drivers on clients (new style)

Nick Pietraniec nickp at campbellco.com
Fri Jan 25 13:54:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:55, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On 25 Jan 2002, Nick Pietraniec wrote:

...clip...

> Please upgarde to 2.2.2 and read the Printing CHapter in the
> Samba-HOWTO-Collection.  Things have changed quite a bit in
> 2.2....

Thanks Jerry, for pointing me in the right direction - but now I have a
different problem.

I've got a Windows NT Domain "WHEELZ" which I've sucessfully joined
(users connect to my shares w/no problem) but it doesn't seem like my NT
admin accounts are getting admin permissions.  I'm trying to browse to
the printers folder on a 2k box and run the add printer wizard to add
drivers for the printer.  If I log on as administrator, browse to the
printer, and do properties->sharing tab, click "add additional drivers,"
and I try to add drivers for NT 4.0 (intel) I get the error

The "Add printer" button is also not appearing, and, I'm not able to
write to the "print$" share... However, I've created a user "root" in my
domain, and if I log on using that user, the "add printer" button
appears and I'm able to write to the print$ share, but when I try to add
the additional drivers I get

Unable to install the Intel, Windows NT 4.0 or 2000 driver.  Operation could not be completed

I have created the print$ share properly (since I'm able to browse to
it) and it's owned by root.  Inside I've created a "WIN40" directory and
a "W32X86" directory.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I've attached my smb.conf file
below.

Thanks -

Nick

[global]
	workgroup = WHEELZ
	netbios name = psnc9600
	server string = Samba rules.
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = YES
	null passwords = No
	obey pam restrictions = No
	password server = REASONER BUZZ
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
	time server = No
	load printers = Yes
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	wins server = 192.210.21.104