Samba 2.2.2 CVS

Jurjen Oskam jurjen at quadpro.stupendous.org
Fri Jan 25 00:51:04 GMT 2002

Hi,

Yesterday (jan 24) I checked out Samba 2.2, because I'm trying to solve a
problem involving oplock breaks.

The compilation and installation went succesful, however I have a few
questions.

I use daemontools to run Samba. What daemontools does (simplified):

- It starts a program. Whenever that program exits, the program is
  restarted after a one-second delay.

- It sets up a pipe between the started program and a logger. The pipe is
  connected to stdout of the original program. This way, everything the
  program prints on stdout is sent to the logger.

The problem with Samba 2.2.2 and earlier was that smbd and nmbd
"auto-background". When smbd detaches itself, to daemontools it looks like
smbd exited, and so daemontools starts another smbd, and so on.

So I was happy to see a "-i" option included in smbd and nmbd. I tried to
use them, but it didn't really work:

* when smbd is invoked with the -i option, it only serves one request and
  then exits.

* when smbd is invoked with the -i option, it still says "assuming -D".

If -i would do the following, I would be very happy:

* not auto-background, always keep running in the foreground
* send all output and logging to stdout and/or stderr
* on exiting, *do not kill* the entire process group

--
      Jurjen Oskam * http://www.stupendous.org/ for PGP key * Q265230
    9:14am  up 22 days, 14:20,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00