difficulty in installing samba

Ahmad Yahya getlucky at telkom.net
Thu Jan 24 18:07:05 GMT 2002

From: "Girish R S" <ramadurgam.girish at wipro.com>

> hi,
> I am struck at testparm. its a c file and i am not able to compile coz it
> keeps asking for .h adn its not able to find. i guess i have done
soemthing
> wrong in my installation. follopwing are the steps i followed.
> 1) extracted from .tar.gz
> 2) ran ./configure
>
> now i am caught. do i need to do those "make" steps given in the step 1.2
of
> the pdf.

Yes, then 'make install'

> Please do let me know how to go ahead.
I usually do:
1) extracting from the source
2) cd _samba_source_/source
3) ./configure --help | more #to see what I need and more specification on
intalling samba
4) ./configure --prefix=Prefix --with-? --with-? #[? what I need]
5) make all install #[or 'make' then 'make install' or 'make all install']

As default testparm is in Prefix/bin and smb.conf will be read in
Prefix/lib, but there no smb.conf fin Prefix/lib.
There is smb.conf.default in  _samba_source/examples, copy it to Prefix/lib
to be smb.conf.
Edit it as you want. Now you can run Prefix/bin/testparm.

> rgds
> Girish

hth
Yaya