SMB mount to iSeries (AS/400) IFS

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jan 24 12:11:14 GMT 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Spencer Elliott wrote:

> 1. I installed RedHat Linux on a LAN attached system in order to use
> CVS from a development package on our iSeries systems. I would like to
> place the CVS repository in the Integrated File System (IFS) of one of
> our iSeries (AS/400) systems.

I'm not so sure you want to run CVS over smbfs. What is wrong with
setting up a CVS server in :pserver: mode?

> 4. I issued the following mount command:
> mount -t smbfs \\\\iseries\\root /misc/s270 -o
> username=spencer,dmask=777,fmask=777
>
> 5. There were NO messages except asking for my password.

Does 'dmesg' say anything? Both before and after trying to list the dir?

> 6. The following item shows up in my mount list when I issue the mount
> command:
> //iseries/root on /misc/s270 type smbfs  (0)

What does 'cat /proc/mounts' return?

> Problems:
> 7. The folder (/misc/s270) shows up as a "... unknown type" in the
> Nautilus tree view and disappears when I try to open the folder.
>
> 8. When I issue the "ls -a /misc/s270" command I receive a "ls:
> /misc/s270 No such file or directory" message.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Not really.

It does sound like it has problems getting any information from the
server.

Kernel version on the linux box?
Samba version?

I know someone who has successfully used smbfs with an AS/400, so it is
possible. Perhaps there are some patches/upgrades it needs? The smb server
on the AS/400 used to have a bug where it would always return filenames in
unicode format.

/Urban