prefix missing in subject

Greg Zartman greg at leiinc.com
Wed Jan 23 10:32:05 GMT 2002

> stupid things like Re: [samba] Re:[samba] Re: [samba] some subject here.

Agreed, but if the list is setup right, this NEVER happens.  A thread
would simply follow:
RE:[SAMBA] subject
RE:[SAMBA] subject
..
.
..
etc.

I subscribe to two lists that use the subject prefix and I've never seen
the prefix stacked in the fashion you pointed out.

> Try subscribing to 50+ mailing lists and see how long your way is
useful.

If you are subscribing to 50+ mailing lists, then you have more time on
your hands the most of us working professional out here.  I have a hard
time keeping up with 5-6 lists (especially high traffic lists like samba,
and still get my work done.

I think you are in the extreme minority here.

> You do not need to be a guru. Just read the man pg for 30 seconds and
you

That is your perspective.  I suspect you are quite proficient with NIX.
This isn't the case for many of the Samba new comers.  You must remember
that Windows folks are accustom to having everything built into a wizard
or some other automated setup.  NIX is and entirely different beast.

> other things). IMO it does not get much easier. It just requires 5
minutes
> of effort. The really good thing about this is once someone learns how
> easy it is the problem is solved for ever.

Agreed, procmail is a good thing and once you get it working, you can
forget about it.  Wonderful piece of software.

I do disagree with your time estimate to get it up and running.  When I
first discovered procmail, I spent several hours browsing the very poorly
designed procmail site looking for information.  It took 2-3 days (hour
here, hour there sort of a thing), posting questions on a procmail
mailing list,  playing around, and reading various documents to get it
figured out.

After spending that initial "learning" time, I could quite easily create
a new receipt in under 30 minutes.  Was it worth the up front time?  I
don't know, I did it all on my own time.

> ago. It took all of about 10 minutes reading of the man pages and I
>felt good

You got me then..  I guess I spent to much time as a Windows person.
Maybe I'm just slow to pick things up, I don't know.  It always takes me
several hours of reading and playing to figure out, and become proficient
at, new "nix services."

Regards,

--
Greg J. Zartman, P.E.