machine accounts

James Bear james.s.bear at sendit.nodak.edu
Tue Jan 22 06:34:09 GMT 2002

Well I thank everybody that helped me get swat working.  I am very thankful.

Now, though, it seems I have more problems.  When I try to join my samba
domain, my XP box says "a domain controller for the domain edith could not
be contacted."

Okay, well, after reading up on things in this list, it seems that I need to
create a machine account.  I didn't have to on my NT box.  When I join the
domain with that,  it just creates an account automatically.  So how do I do
this with Samba?

For helpers, here is my smb.conf file.  TAke into account that I do have teh
security set as share right now and it is wide open to anybody on the
network just because I like to be able to use it as a storage medium.

thanks
jim

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2002/01/21 15:02:23

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = EDITH
	netbios name = WALDO
	server string = Samba Server
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	preferred master = True
	domain master = True
	dns proxy = No
	default service = homes