Antwort: Gateway problem

John Weissberg jw at perfectproof.com
Tue Jan 22 05:27:07 GMT 2002

Here is my route table with the gateway removed. My entire network uses netmask
255.255.255.0
I do not know why the route table has 255.255.255.255 in the first line.

Kernel IP routing table
 Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
 192.168.0.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0
 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo

Mathias Wohlfarth wrote:

> might be a problem with subnet masks. If the Samba Servers mask is
> different from the client, it might receive the request, but send the
> answer to the gateway.
> - might - is a check worth.
> regards Mathias
>
> John Weissberg <jw at perfectproof.com>@lists.samba.org on 22.01.2002 11:50:23
>
> Gesendet von:     samba-admin at lists.samba.org
>
> An:      samba at lists.samba.org
> Kopie:
> Org.Element:
> Telefon:
> Thema:   Gateway problem
>
> We are just installing a new ADSL router. Our network is all PC with a
> linux box with Samba which worked fine before we installed the new
> router.
>
> As part of the installation of the new router, I set-up a default
> gateway IP address on the linux box using /sbin/route. All functions
> such as PING and DNS lookup worked fine through the new router.
>
> However, one we had defined the default gateway in the linux route
> table, the Samba shares were no longer visible from PC clients. What is
> more, from all the Windows clients, it was impossible to "Browse the
> Network" or use "Network Neighborhood". Once I removed the default
> gateway from the route table, Samba and the rest of the PC network
> returned to visible and browsable from the PCs.
>
> Samba is not defined as a WINS server for us.
>
> Any help on diagnosing the problem would be appreciated.
>
> --
>
> John Weissberg
> PerfectProof
> www.perfectproof.com