Problems Accessing Samba through a Firewall

heubach at heubach-edv.de heubach at heubach-edv.de
Mon Jan 21 09:16:02 GMT 2002

Hello out there!

I've got some problems with Samba 2.2.0 sitting in the DMZ behind a
firewall.

I opened ports 137/138 UDP and 139 TCP to Samba. When I try to connect the
Samba machine from a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation I get the error message
"Networkpath not found". If i open all ports to the Samba host it will work.
After this I close all ports unless 139 TCP and it still works. But it stops
working after logging out and on again to the Windows NT host.

This is a bit weird and I don't know exactly where to start. I tried to
check netstat on both Linux and Windows but it doesn't say much.

I recognized that Samba opens ports above 1024 after establishing a
connection but I don't know the reason for this.

The firewall is a Raptor Firewall and I know only little about it. (It isn't
maintained by me.)

Anybody any idea ?

Regards
Manfred