Problems with Samba, INIT during boot, respawning too fast...

Bo Larses bo at landskapslaget.se
Mon Jan 21 01:47:09 GMT 2002

> It suggests your hard drive is bad.
Probably...

> Now, you do not need swat to run samba. You can run samba fine from the
> command line (telinit 3). You can start smbd and nmbd from a startup script.
> You should know where samba is keeping its lock files and pid files. If
> you don't know, one way  is to use the string command, eg:
>
> strings `which smbd` | grep / | less
>
> Mine are in /usr/local/samba/var/locks, despite what this startup
> script below says.

> #!/bin/bash
> case "$1" in
>  start)
>   killall smbd
>   killall nmbd
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
>   ;;
>
>  stop)
>   killall smbd
>   killall nmbd
>  ;;
>  reload)
>  kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/lock/samba/smbd.pid`
>  kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/lock/samba/nmbd.pid`
>  ;;
>  *)
>  echo Usage:
>  echo start stop reload
>  ;;
> esac
> exit 0

This looks interesting, what do I do with it? Where do I put it? I think samba is (was?) started in inetd.At the end of inetd.conf there are these lines:

linuxconf stream tcp wait root /bin/linuxconf linuxconf --http
swat      stream  tcp     nowait.400      root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd

is this useful?
I am thinking of reinstalling samba but I'm not sure about how to do it safe. Configuration files, versions etc.
/Bosse