Samba doesn't like dynamic ip addresses.

A.J. Leitell lordacid at lcisp.com
Sat Jan 19 09:51:03 GMT 2002

Why not install IpFilter on the Linux box (along with a second NIC) and run
a crossover from the dsl Modem to the linux box.  Then from the second NIC
run to your ethernet to the hub. Set up the Linux box with IpFilter and
IpNat and you have the added security without bandwith loss.  That way the
only dynamic IP address you have is the outside one on the DSL modem side of
your Linux Box and you control the class C network on the inside.
 go here:

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html

You Wrote:

"I dont know, but the 2 win boxes and the linuxbox
obtain diffrent ip addresses from the isp.They are all connected to a hub
which are connected to the adsl modem.

 So try my suggestion and add the linux box as the wins server on the
clients, but make sure wins support = yes in your samba.conf"