Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt and Citrix on Win2k

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Jan 16 02:32:07 GMT 2002

At 11:17 AM 1/16/02 +1100, you wrote:
<snip>
> > To join the domain use 'smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -U Administrator'.  This
> > will create a machine account (with the PDC's admin password)
> > and set a
> > password on that account.  This allows Samba to pass both the
> > challenge
> > and response to the DC and to get back sane error codes.
> >
>I think I must be a little thick as I can't get this to work.  I tried:
>
>smbpasswd -j COMCARE -u Administrator
>
>It came back with a password prompt which I asked the M$ man to enter (for
>the PDC admin account) and it failed authentication.  The server exists at
>the PDC and everything (according to the M$ bloke) is OK there.

Right, I know I'm butting in here, but what I have seen on the list is that
that joins the domain, but some people have had to create the account manually.

So, on the PDC, you need to make an account, and check the box that allows
non-w2k machines to use it.  Then that command might work.

I hope you get somewhere.