Samba (smbfs) performance problem

Maier Gerfried moali at sbox.tugraz.at
Tue Jan 15 23:18:03 GMT 2002

Hello Samba Mailing-List!

I have two machines connected via a 100MBit Ethernet. This works fine.
When I transfer a 50MByte file from one Machine to the other using ftp I

get trasfer-rates of about 5MBytes per second (put and get).
Similar results are obtained when transferring the file with smbclient.

When I mount the share using smbmount I get quite poor transfer-rates of

less than 1MByte per second when getting from server and even less
when putting. (transferring the file with cp).
(No significant messages are written to the system log)

I'd be very glad if anybody could help me finding the reason for this
behaviour.
If you need any further information please mail me.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Maier Gerfried

My System:
Client:
  Base: Suse Linux 6.3
  Kernel: 2.2.20
  Samba 2.0.10

Server:
  Base: Suse Linux 6.3
  Kernel: 2.2.19
  Samba 2.0.10

On Both Systems in smb.conf:
read raw and write raw enabled,
TCP_NODELAY set,
read and write buffer-sizes modified to obtain the maximum performance
when trasferring with smbclient.