winbindd and copying NT files/ACLs

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Jan 15 16:22:16 GMT 2002

David Brodbeck <DavidB at mail.interclean.com> wrote:

> From: David Brodbeck <DavidB at mail.interclean.com>
> To: 'Rob Helmer' <robert at namodn.com>, samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: RE: winbindd and copying NT files/ACLs
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:51:51 -0500
>
> Copying to an NT server doesn't preserve them either, as I recall.
> Network copies just don't preserve ACLs...the file gets the default
> ACL for the folder it's going into.  If you find a good way to do this
> kind of migration while keeping the ACLs intact you'll make a lot of
> people very happy. ;)

Have you checked "scopy" - last I heard it was part of the NT Resource
Kit. I have used it many times to copy files with full preservation of the
ACE/ACL info.

One warning though - this command will not create the empty directories,
so you need to use xcopy32 to copy the tree of directories, and then use
"scopy" to copy the files and their ACLs.

Perhaps someone else on this list could validate this info - it dates back
to NT4 and NT4 ResourcesKit SP2. Please will someone who has the current
Win2K Resource Kit confirm if scopy is still in there?

PS: We aim to make everyone happy. ;)
Cheers,
John T.
--