Win98 W2K and Samba PDC

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Tue Jan 15 09:01:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 11:39, Manfred Heubach wrote:
> Hello out there!
>
> I got stuck in a problem. Maybe somebody can give me a hint:
>
> I'm running a really tiny network at a customer. There are 5 Win2K Workstations, 1 Windows 98 PC and one LINUX Samba 2.2.0 acting as a PDC.
> Authentication works correctly. Every user can access shares on the Samba or the W2K Hosts. Only the user from the Windows 98 PC cannot access the shares on the W2K Hosts. The shares on the Samba host are accessable without problems.
> The Windows 98 machine waits for a timeout and then says something like "user account out of date" (in German: "Benutzerkonto abgelaufen").
>
> Does Windows 98 need a machine account on samba in order to access W2K shares?
>
> Regards
> Manfred

I encountered a similar problem with Samba 2.2.0, and it turned out to
be an issue with PAM settings (it was a long time ago, so I can't
remember how I worked around it).  But you could probably try upgrading
your samba to either 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 (the latter is my recommendation) to
see if the problem is still there.

Kohei