oplock problems with Version 2.2.2

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Mon Jan 14 14:39:59 GMT 2002

> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:52:09 -0500
> From: David Collier-Brown <davecb at canada.sun.com>
> To: Thomas Schulz <schulz at adi.com>
> CC: samba at samba.org
> Subject: Re: oplock problems with Version 2.2.2
>
> Thomas Schulz wrote:
> >
> > I just tried to upgrade from Version 2.0.7 to Version 2.2.2 and ran into
> > oplock errors.  I made no changes to the configuration file.  We are running
> > Samba on a Sun Solaris 2.6 machine.  The PC is running Windows 2000.  The
> > aplication showing the problem is ISP Design Expert from Lattice
> > Semiconductor. The lines in the configuration file having to do with locks
> > are:
> >
> >    level2 oplocks = true
> >    lock directory = /opt/local/samba/var/locks/%h
> >
> > The entries in the log file are:
> >
> > [2002/01/14 09:03:19, 0] smbd/oplock.c:(813)
> >   oplock_break: no break received from client within 30 seconds.
> >   oplock_break failed for file Projects/79152-RollsDerby/boardDesigns/Isource/PL
> > D/automake.log (dev = 800006, inode = 4281608).
>
> 	Hmmn, sounds like the client (meaning
> 	the PC SMB program) that had the file
> 	open when the new user wanted to open
> 	it didn't respond to an oplock break,
> 	but was running, as there wasn't a 'lost
> 	connection' message.
>
> > [2002/01/14 09:03:19, 0] smbd/oplock.c:(859)
> >   oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file Projects/79152-RollsDerby
> > /boardDesigns/Isource/PLD/automake.log
>

> > [2002/01/14 09:03:19, 0] smbd/reply.c:(4413)
> >   reply_lockingX: Error : oplock break from client for fnum = 9046 and no oplock
> >  granted on this file (Projects/79152-RollsDerby/boardDesigns/Isource/PLD/automa
> > ke.log).
>
> 	Ok, the lock is denied.
> >
> > The user reported that a save operation that usually takes less than
> > one second took over a minute to complete.  I have reverted to Version 2.0.7
> > and the problem is gone.
>
> 	Should I assume this was
> 	- occasional
> 	- repeated erratically
> 	- every time?
>
> --adve
> --

I did not leave the new samba running long enough to get a good history, but
perhaps the oplock error is not the main problem. Here is better detail on
what was happening.

I installed the new Samba on Sunday.  At that time all the PCs were turned
off.  When people came in this morning (Monday) they noticed that all file
activity was very slow,  with one particular user having severe problems.
When I looked in the log file for that PC, I found the oplock errors.
Looking in the other log files, I do NOT see any such errors.  One thing
that I did notice was a much larger number of smbd processes running
(with fewer than the usual number of users active).  Unfortunately,
it will be dificult to do any more testing for awhile as we have a project
that has to go out soon.

Tom schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com