Directory entries don't appear immediately with SMB share on Linux

Simon Wail simon at beachedwail.com
Mon Jan 14 10:06:10 GMT 2002

I'm currently having a problem with a samba share filesystem mounted on Linux.
When I create a new file on linux, it doesn't immediately appear in a directory
listing.  I can access the file by explicitly specifying the filename but I
can't access it in any other way, which is causing makefile file expansion and
dependency checking to fail.  It's as if Linux is caching the directory listing,
or Windows is not immediately updating the directory entries.  Is there a fix
to this problem?

My configuration is as follows:

Samba server:	Windows 2000 with FAT filesystem (C:)

Linux client:	Red Hat V6.2 - Kernel 2.2.16
		Samba V2.0.10 (Red Hat RPM)

Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks,
| Dr. Simon Wail               | Internet: simon at beachedwail.com             |
| "The Truth is out there...      Time is an illusion, lunch-time doubly so" |
|        Chris Carter                            Douglas Adams               |