PAM, samba, and syslog

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 11 15:16:02 GMT 2002

I use the --with-utmp configure option (activated with utmp = yes in
smb.conf) for this kind of thing.

If you want to do it with PAM sessions, then compile --with-pam and set
'obey pam restrictions = yes' in you smb.conf and setup the appropritate
entries in /etc/pam.d/samba.

David Brodbeck wrote:

> If nothing else, it seems like you could do this with a preexec script on
> each share.  Just run a command-line program that sent whatever you needed
> to syslog.

You should not do it that way.  Setup either security = server or
security = domain between the two servers, but don't force clients down
to plaintext just to refer logins.

(and set encrypt passwords = yes).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org