samba 2.2.2 install

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Jan 11 10:25:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, James Bear wrote:

> I downloaded 2.2.2.  I gunzipped it.  I did the tar xvf filename.tar
>
> It put all the files somewhere.
>
> Now what?
>
> And, do I have to uninstall 2.2.1a before I install 2.2.2?

The easiest way is to just get an updated rpm from RedHat. Look for the
"rawhide" directory on your nearest RedHat ftp mirror.

You can get the source rpm (samba-2.2.2-8.src.rpm) and compile it
yourself. Something like this:
# rpm -i samba-2.2.2-8.src.rpm
# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
# rpm -bb samba.spec
# cd ../RPMS/i386
# rpm -Uhv samba*.rpm

Or just download the precompiled i386 binaries from the same ftp and skip
the first 4 steps. -U is update, and that replaces your current samba
version, so you don't need to explicitly uninstall.

If you still want to compile yourself from the tar.gz that is not very
difficult, although the RedHat system will mostly think that you don't
have samba installed.

You don't have to uninstall when building yourself, but it helps avoid
conflicts. So uninstall *all* samba rpms, not just the one named samba (ie
all 3 of samba, samba-client, samba-common).

The installation instructions are hidden in the docs directory.
docs/htmldocs/UNIX_INSTALL.html (?)
And you will probably want to read at least ENCRYPTION.html in the same
dir.

[I think samba should have followed a GNU practise of using plaintext
 README and INSTALL files in the root of the distribution. If nothing else
 to point people to where the docs are.]

Following the instructions will give you a samba installed as
/usr/local/samba (unless you specify otherwise) and you may have to play
with your PATH or create symlinks to make your shell find the commands.

/Urban