Coming back to samba - questions on new technology

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Fri Jan 11 03:11:11 GMT 2002

I've been using samba for about 5 years; I am currently running a group
of servers all running 2.0.7 or thereabouts.

I am now in a position where I think I can take advantage of some of the
really cool stuff in 2.2.2 - if I interpret the docs correctly.

winbind - Am I correct in assuming that if I have one samba box that
serves as the domain controller, a second samba box running winbind does
not need to have the user database on it, but instead get its uses from
the samba PDC?  This would help me solve a bad situation I am about to
get into.

smb.conf - I have a setup where one samba server will act as a login
server only (no shares will be mounted from this server).  Will
specifying utmp record all logins in the utmp file along with host
names?

pam - can I use winbind (which depends on pam) with encrypt passwords =
yes?

Thanks,

--Yan

--
Daddy, did all the hair that fell off your head stick to your arms?
Akari, age 4