Samba/Printing & Win2K INF file problem

Wade Winright Wwinrigh at thecreek.com
Wed Jan 9 12:48:03 GMT 2002

So after many hours of beating my head against the monitor, and searches
galore, bothering people on the list, and causing myself to talk in my sleep
concerning printers I have a work-around for this problem!!
	I have done 2 things, one of which I know makes it work, and the
other that may contribute, but I have to do more testing...
	First, I download the drivers from the manufacturer, in this case
HP, and place them in a folder on my win2k workstation. I then follow the
Samba Printing instructions. When Win2k prompts me for a driver, I select
Have Disk, browse to the new folder, select the directory with the driver in
it and select Open. When it prompts me for the "*.inf" file, I simply point
it back to THE SAME FOLDER I USED FOR THE DRIVER and it will either install,
or give a Microsoft signature warning, at which I select Yes I agree. It
will finish installing, and viola!! The drivers will now download
automatically!!
	The other thing I did which may or may not contribute to these
results is to add 2 directories (so far) in the W32X86 directory named "2"
and "3". This is something I tried due to the fact that my win2k box has
these folders under the PRINTERS directory.
	I think this will fix the problems. I have installed 3 printers now
and have about 100 to go. I will keep the list updated on problems and
successes.
	If this works out like it is currently, I would recommend inserting
this into the docs, as I have seen about 4-5 emails on the list within the
past 5 days concerning this.
	Happy Hunting...