Samba 2.2.1 troubles over KNS800/R switch.

Craig W. Blake craigb at freecompany.org
Wed Jan 9 07:47:07 GMT 2002

  I am running a local network setup with two Linux machines (2.4.7 kernel),
both running Samba 2.2.1, one of which is the WINS server and domain
controller for the network.  Both are more or less  boxed configurations
of RedHat 7.2.  Additionally I have two Windows 2000 boxes on the network.
When running over a dual-speed hub the setup works fine, and all the boxes
can talk to one another.

However, once I replaced the hub with the Kingston switch the Win boxes
are no longer able to see the Linux boxes, and vice versa although each set
of like boxes can see and talk to one another.  A tcpdump of the network
traffic while running nmblookup shows a few requests from the Samba machine,

19:05:00.142251 192.168.0.1.33770 > 192.168.0.3.netbios-ns: NBT UDP
PACKET(137): QUERY; REQUEST; BROADCAST (DF)

but no response from the Win box, and a packet capture on the Win box
confirms
that the traffic to the Win host is present but no reply is being
attempted.  I've
successfully established UDP and TCP connections to the relevent ports
on the
Windows host to verify that both types of traffic work over the switch,
and that the
Win box is listening.  Also, other UDP services work fine
between the boxes, including DHCP.

Another finding is that when running "nmblookup -B <win2000 machine
name> '*'"
as suggested in the "Diagnosing Samba" doc,  it replies with the IP of
the Samba
server, but when I run "nmblookup -B <win2000 ip address> '*'" it
replies that
the name query failed.

I've looked through all the Samba docs and troubleshooting guides I've
found,
searched the list archives, and tried a net search to no avail.  The
relevant portions
of smb.conf are listed below.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Thanks for having a look.

Craig W. Blake

workgroup = workgroup
netbios name = samba