2.2.2 Release incredibly broken?

Robert Blayzor noc at inoc.net
Mon Jan 7 11:47:04 GMT 2002

I don't know how things have been going for many of you out there with
Samba 2.2.2, but I'm having horrible results with the stability of Samba
in a production environment.

Using Samba 2.2.2 from the FreeBSD-stable ports collection:

1)  Op locks have to be disabled.  There are a horrible amount of errors
that Samba logs in the machine specific logs.  So many that eventually
smbd crashes with a signal 6.

2)  When operating in domain controller mode, we've noticed a couple of
times now that samba just stops working as a domain controller.  No
errors in the smbd or nmbd logs, it just fails to authenticate logins,
etc.  Restarting Samba seems to fix the problem.

3)  Some Windows 2K pro machines that are member machines (with trust
accounts) seem to like to blue screen when they start up.  Hard crash.
Usually unpluging the network jack and waiting for the machine to boot
fully, then pluging it back in seems to be fine.  (probably a Windows
and samba problem)

We also see many machine logs that have errors as follows:

[2002/01/07 14:37:18, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1204)
  api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.

Which most times doesn't seem to effect anything, but it's rather
annoying to see something failed, but you don't know exactly what.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net