well it WAS working ...

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Jan 5 16:06:02 GMT 2002

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Julian Opificius wrote:

> Now, when I try to map Win98 shares on my RH7.2 Linbox I get ...
>
> 6278: session request to MONSTA failed (Called name not present)
> 6278: session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
> SMB connection failed

Your win98 does not like the netbios name "MONSTA" (and no win9x likes
being called *SMBSERVER).

Fix the netbios name used in the mount (in fstab) to be the one win98
calls itself. If you have been changing the DNS around I guess it is
possible that the client can't look up the IP of the server.

> Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me ...

Behind you!

/Urban