Samba + Cups + Printing permissions

Algenon algenon at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 4 19:57:02 GMT 2002

Hi All, my system is;
Redhat 7.2 + Samba 2.2.1 + CUPS 1.10.1
Linux, Win98, Mac and SGI boxes on network.
Printer installed directly on the Linux box
Cannot print through Samba to Linux box from Windows, but can print to all other network printers from all boxes.

I can access the shared files on the Linux box from Win98 without problems. I can see the printer on the Linux box from the Win98 box. I can print to this printer directly from the linux box but I cannot print to it from Win98. When I try to print, I get the Windows password gui, which will not accept the valid password for the Win98 box. So I think it is a permissions problem but do not know where to start. I have looked at the CUPS log and found nothing. The Samba log shows the following when I attempt to print;

[2002/01/05 10:39:14, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(830)
smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User nobody !

This is surprising as I am not using pams, and this does not appear when the Win98 box logs onto the Linux box.
In the smb.conf file I have [ security = user ]
Can anyone help whith where I should start looking. I have read the CUPS and Samba docs, sacrificed a virgin and urinated on a Macintosh but nothing seems to help.

Kind regards....... Algenon